Friday, November 10, 2006

Italian-Americans Still Reeling From World Cup Victory

I’ve come to realize that most Italian-Americans (the two I’ve come into contact with lately) are still really excited about Italy’s World Cup victory this Summer…even though it’s November. They are American citizens, born and raised, yet they seem to be really excited and want to shove it in the USA’s face…but they live here. I guess I’ll never get it. I guess I’ll also never care about soccer or “futbol del mundo” either. You can taunt me as much as you want about America’s below-average showing in the World Cup, but it won’t affect me.

My question is: When the next World Cup rolls around in 2010, instead of rooting for the good ol’ U.S., should I be rooting half the time for Germany and half the time for England? And then, if Germany or England wins, be only half-excited and do a half-ass celebration? And then, should I shove it in “the American’s” faces, only half of the time that I feel like it? Even in November? And will I go around after the World Cup victory, of either England or Germany, and boast about how “America sucks,” and how I’m going to move to England/Germany for half the year because of it?

Uhhh…no. I like basketball.

Brian Laesch, the most cultured Midwesterner in the history of America, at least, by modern media standards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home